Sitting on thirty acres of land, historic Pisgah Presbyterian Church was founded in 1784. It was built of log about 1785 on land donated by the Samuel Stevenson family.
It was located out in what is now the cemetery, probably where the large taxus bushes are now. It was a rough hewn log building with a shingled roof, and the finish of the building itself and its furnishing were rather primitive, which most likely made it uncomfortable in wet or cold weather.
The building, in which we have now, was constructed in 1812. War was breaking out with England, and the area was in a good deal of political excitement. But the Stevenson family had given land to the congregation for the construction of a church, and so building commenced in spite of war. The building is of Kentucky limestone and was remolded in 1868 in the Gothic style. The windows and doors were made in that shape, and the roof was pitched in accordance with it. The pulpit was made in keeping with the Gothic effect and was placed on a podium at one end of the church with a narthex at the other end. One central door was placed at the entrance to the narthex, while two doors, through which to enter the sanctuary, were placed.
The lovely stained glass windows that grace the building were donated by Dr. Robert C. James and installed in 1888-89 in memory of his mother, Nannie, who had been a devoted member of the church for years. These stained glass windows emulate colored glass windows of large eastern firm such as John Lafarge or L. C. Tiffany. They were created by George Barnes of Philadelphia. Nannie must have been a plant devotee since the windows have flowers that depict various seasons in the life of Christ: Christmas rose for His birth, the palm for Palm Sunday and His triumphant entry into Jerusalem, the Easter lily for His resurrection, and the iris for the Trinity. The stained glass window above the pulpit was donated in honor of long-term minister Rutherford Douglas, who served Pisgah Church faithfully from 1858 until 1890. (written by Missie Wood)